The NZDF will provide you and your whānau the support and guidance you need when your loved one is deployed.
NZDF Deployment Support
Deployment Services Officers (DSOs)
There are two DSOs in the New Zealand Defence Force who facilitate support and welfare services to deployed people and their families. Their expertise is in the nature or deployments and troubleshooting the many and varied welfare situations that can arise when a family member is deployed. They have a close working relationship with the chain of command and Headquarters Joint Force New Zealand and can often provide answers to deployment related questions immediately.
The DSOs work in support of overseas operational missions and other selected activities. Their services are available 24/7 and they work across all three service in NZ.
For more information check out Homebase on the Forces4Families website.
How can a DSO support you?
- Pre-deployment Welfare and Family Support Services briefings
- Production and distribution of resources
- Regular communication updates for whānau
- Pre-deployment consultation, support and advice as required
- Facilitating communication with deployed personnel if required
- Direct support and liaison with personnel and whānau during an emergency situation
- Welfare support and referral when necessary
- Facilitating and delivering deployment community engagement activities
Naval Deployment Support
NCO Support Available
- Monthly community newsletter
Hosting and management of Naval community events
Family oriented seminars and outings
Emergency and welfare support for families
Facilitation of messaging to ship personnel.
Is it confidential?
Resources for you and your whānau
Check out these helpful resources that you can use to help navigate the deployment. For children there are several activities, books and videos to watch. For more specific resources reach out to your local deployment support officer.
The Military Wife & Mom: The Ultimate Guide to Deployment Resources for Military Kids