Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The NZDF is committed to continuing to serve New Zealand without disruption as the situation around COVID-19 and its impact continues to evolve.
Regular guidance and advice is going to all NZDF personnel directing that people do not come to work if they feel unwell and encouraging good personal hygiene as a way to minimise the chance of spreading viral illness.
The most important of these is perhaps the most simple – frequently washing your hands for at least 20 seconds, practice good cough etiquette - backed up by not touching your face, and coughing or sneezing into tissues which are then discarded. Practice physical distancing (stay 2m apart) and avoid large gatherings of people.
We are following Ministry of Health directions on self-isolation for those returning from overseas or who have potentially been exposed to COVID-19.
The Chief of Defence Force has placed restrictions on travel, both national and international, and gatherings such as meetings are being minimised.
Defence Schools and Colleges are still operating, and new recruit training is continuing, albeit with restrictions to minimise contacts outside the training environment.
In all of our preparations and responses to COVID-19, we are driven by the fact that our people are our biggest asset and we take their health and safety seriously. We need to take care of ourselves so we can take care of New Zealand.
- Stay informed with accurate information via the Defence Health ILP, the Ministry of Health website and www.covid19.govt.nz(external link)
- Promote good hygiene and preventative health behaviour everyone needs to modify behaviour to ensure they are minimising the chance of spreading viral illness.
- Seek advice from health personnel for clarification of issues or concerns
- If you are unwell with flu-like symptoms call the COVID-19 Healthline (0800 358 5453) number or phone your local GP/DHC before turning up to be assessed. This reduces the risk to health providers and other patients while ensuring you get good healthcare.
- Keep up to date with the evolving advice from the Government around gatherings and group activities.
- These measures are the most important things that you can do to protect yourself and the more vulnerable members of our community from infection.
NZDF Wellness Guide:
NZDF has released a wellness guide for the NZDF community. You can access the latest version here.
- 807 KB